Access to Food
Free Groceries and meals – free groceries and school meals for children, prepared meals for seniors and people in-need. Information on food pantries and faith based meals. Some resources also provide toiletries (soap/shampoo), cleaning products, and pet food.
SNAP (Supplementary Nutritional Assistance Program, formally known as Food stamps)
SNAP benefits have increased due to the Covid 19 pandemic. If you are in need, please apply. The agencies listed below under Local Assistance can help you fill out an application.
- Apply on-line
- Local assistance – Harford Community Action Agency, Maryland Hunger Solutions will help you complete your application.
Pre-priced boxes of produce available for pick-up
- Jones Family Farms, 2100 Philadelphia Road, Edgewood (410) 676-3709
- Blooms Broom Dairy, 1700 South Fountain Green Road (Rt. 5430, Bel Air. To reserve a box comment on
Katharine Umbarger-Dallam Facebook page. Boxes are pick up only on Wednesdays. Cost $28.
Quick assessment to see if you are eligible for Maryland’s Childcare Scholarship (CCS) program
- If you receive Free and Reduced Price Meals (FARM) at school for your child, you meet the qualifications for CSS.
- You may be eligible if:
- You need childcare because the parent(s) living in the household work, are in an approved training program, or are attending school,
- You already receive CCS for any of your children
- You have applied for or receive Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
CoVid19 (Coronavirus) Information
Based on the state’s accelerating vaccination rate and an anticipated increase in supply from the federal government, all Marylanders 16 and older are now eligible for vaccination at Maryland’s mass vaccination sites: pre-register for an appointment. Preregistration is not an appointment. It puts you on a list to receive an appointment. If you have Pre-Registered, you will be notified to schedule your vaccination when it is your turn. Please see information on Leidos Field at Ripkin Stadium below as Harford County’s mass vaccination site.
Currently there are walk-in, no appointment necessary, vaccines at mass vaccination sites in Salisbury and Hagerstown. It is projected that the mass vaccination site at M&T Bank in Baltimore will be offering walk-in services without an appointment as early as mid April.
As of April 12, all Marylanders 16 and older will be eligible for vaccination appointments at all vaccination sites listed below, not just mass vaccine sites.
You can register for an appointment at the following sites:
- Leidos Field at Ripken Ironbirds Stadium – 873 Long Drive, Aberdeen,1-855-MDGOVAX (1-855-634-6829) – Pre-register This site will open the week of April 19 as a drive-thru in the parking lot. Appointments will be available Tuesday – Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please use the Pre-register link above to reserve your appointment.
- Harford County Health Department (If no internet access, call 410-838-1500)
- UM Upper Chesapeake Health link. ( If no internet access, call Schedule First at 443-843-7000)
- MedStar Health – Bel Air and Franklin Square
- Giant Foods
- Weis Pharmacy
- Safeway Pharmacy
New vaccine sites are constantly being added. For the most updated information on vaccine sites, click here.
Only those with a valid appointment will receive a vaccine. Walk-ins are only accepted at a few designated mass vaccination sites.
If you have questions about your allergies or health conditions and getting the COVID-19 vaccine, please contact your healthcare provider for medical advice.
Harford Citizens Crush Covid-19 – is a Facebook group where volunteers will help those who have difficulty navigating computers secure a vaccine appointment. They do not have any inside information, but are willing to put in the time to help residents search for available appointments.
Statistics and Resources
- Latest Coronavirus statistics Maryland Department of Health
- CovidLINK is Maryland Department of Health’s hub for information about COVID-19.
- Governor Hogan’s Coronavirus website and resources
- University of Maryland Nurse Call Center – 1-888-713-0711, 24/7 call line for anyone who has questions about CoVid-19 symptoms, or needs guidance on when to call their doctor.
- CoVid19 information and updates – UM Upper Chesapeake Health
- How to care for yourself at home if you have mild symptoms
- Free testing in Harford County – UM Upper Chesapeake offers free CoVid19 testing in Aberdeen, 650 McHenry Road – next to Target. Appointments are required, but Doctor’s notes are not. Testing available for ages 5 and up. Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday – 8:00am to noon and Thursday 3pm to 7pm. Click HERE to set up an appointment for a test.
- CoVid19 testing sites throughout Maryland – always call site before visiting to check requirements and if there is a charge.
- Frequently Asked Testing Questions – Maryland Dept. of Health
- How to Avoid a Surprise Bill for Your Coronavirus Test
Access to Health Care
Mental Health Crisis Services, Klein Family Harford Crisis Center (KFHCC), 802 Baltimore Pike, Bel Air, 1.800.NEXT.STEP open 24/7 all day, all night, every day. Call for community referrals, information/advice on mental health and substance abuse issues, or to request Mobile Crisis to your home/work in the event of an emergency. The KFHCC provides walk-in services and immediate treatment, short term outpatient treatment for clients needing services until they are settled with a new Provider, and short term residential services. Clients under 18 can receive assessments and referrals to appropriate services in the community.
Health Clinic – Beacon Health, 253 Lewis Lane, Suite 202, Havre de Grace, MD 21078. Beacon Health is a branch of the West Cecil Health Center (WCHC)and the only Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) in Harford County. FQHC’s offer high quality health care to anyone regardless of which insurance they carry, as well as a sliding scale fee for those without insurance. Patients of Beacon Health, also have access to dental, gynecology, and behavioral health (mental health and substance abuse) services. Patients of all ages are welcome.
Health Insurance Need health insurance? Call the Seedco Hot Line at 866-492-6057, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am- 4:00 pm to speak with a Navigator.
or Visit MarylandHealthConnection
Free Internet is available in parking lots and on the grounds of the following government buildings:
- Agricultural Center, Street
- Churchville Recreational Center
- McFaul Recreational Center, Bel Air
- Havre de Grace Senior Center
- Fallston Recreational Center
- all 11 Harford County Public Library buildings, and the Library Office on Brass Mill Road, Belcamp.
Eviction Prevention/Help Paying Utilities – Harford Community Action Agency will help navigate all available funding sources for eviction prevention and help paying utilities. If you are falling behind in your rent, please do not wait to call as available funds are limited.
Utility Bill Assistance – More Than $154 Million Available to Help Marylanders With Energy and Utility Bills. The Harford Community Action Agency can assist with utility bills.
Transportation – Harford Transit Link will provide on-demand service for residents that need transportation to medical or social service appointments, or in some cases transportation to work. Call 410-612-1620 or 410-838-2562 to book an appointment.
Bill assistance For assistance with paying your bills, call the United Way at 211
Homelessness – If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
Street Card – List of local resources for housing, food, mental health and other needs. Please note, hours and services may be different during Coronavirus restrictions. For the most current access to resources, please refer to other links on this page.